Friday 17th of November 2017 - MX-5 Alive Weekend Away – Great Southern
We head to Albany for this year’s weekend away from Friday 17 to Sunday 19 November.
If you can get Friday off work join us at the Gnowangerup Hotel, 7 Allardyce Street, Gnowangerup, a 345 km / 3¾ hour drive from Perth; aim to get there by 12 noon for lunch or before 1 pm if you are having lunch on the way down. We depart Gnowangerup at 1 pm for the Friday afternoon drive through the Stirling and Porongurup Ranges and onwards via Little Beach in Two Peoples Bay to Emu Point.
After you checked into your accommodation make your way to The Earl of Spencer, 60 Earl Street (corner Spencer Street), for a meal and / or after dinner drinks. Its one of the oldest taverns in WA; there has been a building on the site since 1865. The bar is over 120 years old, made of solid jarrah and is host to 15 different beers including 11 imported Ales, Stouts and Lagers from England, Ireland and Germany.
If you can’t get the time off make your own way down on Friday afternoon / evening, catch up at “The Earl” if you are early enough, and join us for the Saturday and Sunday drives.
On Saturday we check out the sights on a short 110 km drive: we start with Torndirrup National Park and Discovery Bay where you can learn about Albany’s somewhat grim history as a whaling town followed by a visit to the Limeburners Great Southern Distilling Company. Next we head for Mount Romance, the world’s largest Sandalwood oil distillery followed by a visit to Oranje Tractor a small organic winery and Café. After that, we continue with a drive to the three peaks in Albany (Mount Melville, Mount Clarence and Mount Adelaide) ending at the Princess Royal Fortress and the National Anzac Centre.
The Saturday Night Group Dinner is at Due South; an open space barn style eatery with panoramic views of Princess Royal Harbour. We order and pay individually at the counter.
On Sunday we head back to Perth the scenic way, first stop is William Bay National Park. Next we head for the Valley of the Giants - Tree Top Walk before we continue to the Northcliffe Hotel for lunch. After lunch we drive through the Blackwood and Capel valleys to the Dardanup Tavern for a chat and to say our goodbyes.
Participants make their own accommodation arrangements so it is up to you if you want to stay in a hotel, a motel, a B&B, the local YHA or try AirBNB. Have a look at Amazing Albany for the many options. As you pay for your own accommodation, food and drinks there are no costs payable to the club.
Please email email@example.com so we know who will be attending and we can send you the detailed cruise notes.
Steve HARRIS & Lucy HAMES
Aart TER KUILE
Jennie & Ray BROWN
Sheila & Alan WALLACE
- 24/082017-18 Committee
- 11/02New Life Member - Barrie Parker
- 11/02Member of the Year
- 21/01MX-5 Fan Fest
- 17/09Motorsport R8 - Barbagallo Night Autotest
- 12/09After Work Get Together - Hotdog Run
- 03/09Monthly Cruise - Fathers Day Cruise to York
- 27/08Motorsport R7 - Motorplex Sprint
- 23/09Saturday Afternoon Cruise & Dinner – The Hen
- 28/09Monthly Meeting
- 01/10Country Cruise – Greenbushes
- 08/10York Avon Valley Classic Rally
- 14/10Saturday Night Burger Run
- 15/10Motorsport R9 - Midvale Speed Dome
- 22/10Dawn BreakFast Raid – Toodyay
- 26/10Monthly Meeting
- 05/11Monthly Cruise - Elmar’s in the Valley
- 17/11MX-5 Alive Weekend Away – Great Southern
- 26/11Motorsport R10 - Jacks Hillclimb
- 28/11Monthly Meeting
- 03/12Monthly Cruise - Santas Sleigh Ride
- 13/12Midweek Lunchtime Cruise – The Wild Goose Chase
- 17/12Motorsport R11 - Barbagallo Night Autotest
- 07/01Monthly Cruise - Bob's Collectors Cruise - Reg's Rego Run
- 14/01Dawn BreakFast Raid - Lake Leschenaultia
- 04/02Monthly Cruise - Mandurah to Ravenswood