04/07/05 - MX-5 Diesel?
Taken from www.autoexpress.co.uk.
MX-5 Diesel Gets Go-ahead
Hardcore fans of the MX-5 will be shocked - a diesel version of the new Mazda is on the way! However, it's not all bad news for purists; they will be the first to get their hands on a special restricted-availability launch model.
A spokesman for the company confirmed to Auto Express: "There are people working on high-revving diesel engines at the moment, and I can see us using one in the MX-5."
Lovers of the RX-8's rotary engine will be disappointed, too. The clever powerplant has been ruled out for the two-seater, although the current conventional 2.0-litre unit will be joined by a more powerful version soon. "There's no reason why we shouldn't build a high-performance
MX-5," added the spokesman. "This car deserves a more powerful variant." Expect a normally aspirated unit, with the 2.3-litre from the Mazda 6 a likely candidate.
Meanwhile, only members of the official MX-5 owners' club will be able to order one of the 300 special-edition cars available during November - the model's first month on sale. Finished in metallic red and based on the top-of-the-range Sport, the newcomer gets a unique cabin and numbered plaque. Outside, there's chrome trim around the windscreen. Prices have yet to be released, but expect a figure of around £19,000 - the standard 2.0-litre car is likely to cost about £18,500.
- 16/11Motorsport Series 9 #1 Planning now in full swing
- 24/082017-18 Committee
- 11/02New Life Member - Barrie Parker
- 11/02Member of the Year
- 17/11MX-5 Alive Weekend Away – Great Southern
- 05/11Monthly Cruise - Elmar’s in the Valley
- 29/10Barbagallo Night Sprint
- 26/10Monthly Meeting
- 26/11Motorsport R10 - Jacks Hillclimb
- 28/11Monthly Meeting
- 03/12Monthly Cruise - Santa's Sleigh Ride
- 13/12Midweek Lunchtime Cruise – Noble Falls Tavern
- 17/12Motorsport R11 - Barbagallo Night Autotest
- 07/01Monthly Cruise - Bob's Collectors Cruise - Reg's Rego Run
- 14/01Dawn BreakFast Raid - Lake Leschenaultia
- 04/02Monthly Cruise - Mandurah to Ravenswood
- 04/03Monthly Cruise - Dardanup Heritage Park
- 01/04Monthly Cruise - April Fools' Treasure Hunt
- 06/05Monthly Cruise - Jennacubbine Tavern
- 03/06Monthly Cruise - Scarping to Waroona