01/11/03 - Drifting Exhibition
Wanneroo Raceway on Sunday will host the first official drifting exhibition in Australia.
The lunchtime entertainment will form part of the annual Coca Cola combined categories and the OEM 100 HQ Holden enduros which will see some 100 local drivers clash over three 30-lap races involving pit stops.
Drifting is a relatively new sport where the idea is for the driver to go through a series of corners producing and sustaining oversteer while demonstrating an ability to control the vehicle.
“It’s enormously popular in Japan, where enthusiasts in high powered cars have turned it into an art form, it’s started to take off in the US, and now it’s happening in Perth in a safe environment,” said raceway general manager Adrian Chambers.
“Promoters around Australia are always looking at ways to get more young people interested in motor racing and we must keep up with what they want to do and try to cater for them.
“The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport has been quick to identify these activities and I’m delighted to see that they’ve been proactive in setting realistic regulations under which track operators can run these extraordinary events.”
Chambers, a member of the Australian Motor Racing Commission, is chairman of the national Circuit Operators Advisory Council which advises the CAMS board on motor racing issues.
In the coming year Wanneroo Raceway will run regular drifting and burn-out competitions at the circuit during race events, as well as trialling cruising and whoa-to-go, where competitors move from a standing start, accelerate over 150m and stop at a given point.
Sunday’s endurance racing features many of State’s best drivers including Grant Johnson and Kerry Wade - who finished well at Bathurst this year - Geoff Kendrick , Graham Stones, Simon Emmerling and Michael Minshall. Racing starts at 10.50 am and support categories include Formula Fords and Formula Vees
Note : the demo is meant to be at 12 ish , for half an hour, with about 8-10 cars demo'ing, 6 at a time on the track..
- 21/11Motorsport Series 9 #2 - Classes explained
- 16/11Motorsport Series 9 #1 Planning now in full swing
- 24/082017-18 Committee
- 11/02New Life Member - Barrie Parker
- 23/11Committee meeting
- 17/11MX-5 Alive Weekend Away – Great Southern
- 05/11Monthly Cruise - Elmar’s in the Valley
- 29/10Barbagallo Night Sprint
- 26/11Motorsport R10 - Jacks Hillclimb
- 03/12Monthly Cruise - Santa's Sleigh Ride
- 13/12Midweek Lunchtime Cruise – Noble Falls Tavern
- 17/12Motorsport R11 - Barbagallo Night Autotest
- 07/01Monthly Cruise - Bob's Collectors Cruise - Tunnel of trees
- 14/01Dawn BreakFast Raid - Lake Leschenaultia
- 25/01Monthly Meeting
- 04/02Monthly Cruise - Mandurah to Ravenswood
- 22/02Monthly Meeting
- 04/03Monthly Cruise - Dardanup Heritage Park
- 22/03Monthly Meeting
- 01/04Monthly Cruise - April Fools' Treasure Hunt
- 06/05Monthly Cruise - Jennacubbine Tavern
- 03/06Monthly Cruise - Scarping to Waroona