01/11/03 - Drifting Exhibition
Wanneroo Raceway on Sunday will host the first official drifting exhibition in Australia.
The lunchtime entertainment will form part of the annual Coca Cola combined categories and the OEM 100 HQ Holden enduros which will see some 100 local drivers clash over three 30-lap races involving pit stops.
Drifting is a relatively new sport where the idea is for the driver to go through a series of corners producing and sustaining oversteer while demonstrating an ability to control the vehicle.
“It’s enormously popular in Japan, where enthusiasts in high powered cars have turned it into an art form, it’s started to take off in the US, and now it’s happening in Perth in a safe environment,” said raceway general manager Adrian Chambers.
“Promoters around Australia are always looking at ways to get more young people interested in motor racing and we must keep up with what they want to do and try to cater for them.
“The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport has been quick to identify these activities and I’m delighted to see that they’ve been proactive in setting realistic regulations under which track operators can run these extraordinary events.”
Chambers, a member of the Australian Motor Racing Commission, is chairman of the national Circuit Operators Advisory Council which advises the CAMS board on motor racing issues.
In the coming year Wanneroo Raceway will run regular drifting and burn-out competitions at the circuit during race events, as well as trialling cruising and whoa-to-go, where competitors move from a standing start, accelerate over 150m and stop at a given point.
Sunday’s endurance racing features many of State’s best drivers including Grant Johnson and Kerry Wade - who finished well at Bathurst this year - Geoff Kendrick , Graham Stones, Simon Emmerling and Michael Minshall. Racing starts at 10.50 am and support categories include Formula Fords and Formula Vees
Note : the demo is meant to be at 12 ish , for half an hour, with about 8-10 cars demo'ing, 6 at a time on the track..
- 19/02Motorsport Series 9 #8 --- Series Has Started
- 07/02Motorsport Series 9 #7 WholeSeries Entry Open to All Members
- 01/02Motorsport Series 9 #6 Fixture Error on Entry Form
- 31/01Motorsport Series 9 #5 Entrants List
- 26/04Monthly Meeting
- 21/04Saturday Afternoon Cruise and Dinner - Henley Brook Estate
- 11/04After Work Get Together - Wood Fired Pizza Run
- 01/04Monthly Cruise - April Fools' Treasure Hunt
- 29/04Rd 2 Motorplex Sprint
- 06/05Monthly Cruise - Jennacubbine Tavern
- 12/05Rd 3 Barbagallo Night Sprint
- 17/05Midweek Lunchtime Cruise - Ironbark Brewery
- 19/05Saturday Night Cruise - Burger Run
- 24/05Monthly Meeting
- 26/05Saturday Lunch Cruise - Paddy’s Bush Bar
- 03/06Monthly Cruise - Scarping to Waroona
- 10/06Rd 4 Jack’s Hillclimb
- 13/06After Work Get Together - Car Detailing Clinic
- 24/06Dawn Breakfast Raid - Mandurah
- 28/06Monthly Meeting
- 01/07Monthly Cruise – Elizabethan Village
- 01/07Rd 5 Barbagallo Night Autotest
- 07/07Christmas in July - EVENT CANCELLED
- 21/07Saturday Lunch Cruise - Core Cider
- 26/07Monthly Meeting
- 05/08Monthly Cruise - Observation Rally
- 12/08Shannons' Classics on the Park
- 12/08Rd 6 Barbagallo Night Sprint
- 23/08Monthly Meeting
- 25/08Saturday Night Cruise - Burger Run
- 26/08Dawn Breakfast Raid - York Motor Show
- 02/09Sunday Country Cruise - Wildflower Run to Moora
- 09/09Dawn Breakfast Raid - Bickley Area
- 09/09Rd 7 Barbagallo Night Autotest
- 19/09Midweek Lunchtime Cruise - Duckstein Brewery
- 21/10Rd 8 Motorplex Sprint
- 18/11Rd 9 Midvale Speed Dome
- 16/12Rd 10 Jack’s Hillclimb